Tuesday, October 10, 2006

music at camp


Every year I take my class to camp. This is a good chance to combine my love of music with teaching. We sing camp songs by folks like Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, and the Beatles. I feel like this adds an important element to the mix. Brain research backs me up!

E mails with parents are a constant part of teaching now. Here's an exchange I had with a parent about camp:

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your kind note. We all had a great time at camp, and there were lots of songs. My years in a local Beatle tribute band paid off for the kids; those songs continue to resonate with young people.

Mahalo,

Jim Smart


On 10/9/06 8:14 PM, "George Abcede" wrote:

> Hi Mrs. Ching and Mr. Smart,
>
> Wow!!!! It must have been a really fun camp!!! Max wishes that he's
> still at camp and can't stop talking about it. He asked me if I know
> the Beatles and he has been singing the songs at home. Thank you so
> much for everything that you did at camp that made it a wonderful
> experience for the kids. Please extend our thanks to the counselors
> and most specially to Kumu Ty.
>
> Julie Abcede
>

No comments: