Monday, July 09, 2007

technology meeting

Today I went to the opening session of the Punahou
Technology Lab School in Luke Auditorium. The Summer Lab School is
supported by Apple, Inc., which has partnered with Punahou in
planning and developing this event.

I listened to ideas from Cherie Hayes Gigante, a friend of mine, Terry
Lindenmuth, and Jerome Burg.

They gave us their perspectives on creating effective learning environments for
the 21st century students.

Here is a random list of ideas they triggered:

novel discussion - online commenting, say, about a chapter. a mog or a blog or a bulletin board where you make everyone answer the question, and respond to at least 2 others. you get a rich tapestry of comments and questions very quickly.

respond to writing via sound or video files. read aloud paper on camera? real time reactions? When and where to do this quiet-needed work?

arrange desks so the screens of the students can be seen from one point (teacher's desk)

All we really need to teach:
ethical responsibility and critical thinking

or

teach them to care.

In the Web 2.0 world:
more opportunity to do good
more information

wisdom + virtue = hope

These last ideas came from Jerome Burg. I liked his ideas about the new roles for teachers, in a world where the kids are already comfortable in the world we are trying to prepare them for. Even if the kids know more about technology than we do, they are still kids. They need our wisdom and guidance.

Our main job is to get them interested and fired up and pointed in the good directions.

I hope I can come to more techno classes soon.

Jim